If you have followed the first part of my post, Our Veranda Project: A gruesome discovery (Part 1), I left you with our dilemma.
Did we or did we not manage to remove the horrendous looking ‘tentacles’? Just to remind you our gruesome find. Here it is again.
First of all, thank you to all of you who have sent us ideas on how to tackle this seemingly hopeless case, from our perception.
Because our dilemma happened on a Friday evening, there was no way to get help anywhere. It is legally obliged in this part of the world that menial tasks are not allowed to be performed on weekends. We were caught up in a catch-22 situation and had to wait patiently for Monday.
My husband did make a few calls, though, to arrange for an appointment with whomever – insane enough – wanted to take up the assignment. And the result? ZILCH!
Our veranda contract with the builder did not include the removal of the clutters around the compound. We had to do everything ourselves. As you can see my husband did a superb job exposing most, if not, all the roots. Since we do not have proper equipment to clear the two “octopuses”, we dared not risk putting our dilemma in deeper shit.
Our last resort was going back to the veranda contractor and told them our problem. They could not believe what they heard and had to see for themselves. Yes, doubting Thomases do exist! They came on Saturday afternoon and guess what?
They said my husband did a great job and they would do the rest! Huh? Did I hear that right?
Yes, they DID the rest!
It appeared that we did not have to go far in searching our answer at all. It’s already there. Which reminds me of this verse: “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you”.
The slicing of the “tentacles” (= roots) was done on Tuesday, the week after, but…darn, I was at work and did not see the real labour.
Anyway, when I got home from work, I saw this –
This was the groundwork on Day One. At least the roots were gone. That was THE scariest part for us, at least, and seeing what the guys had done, it was not a bad job at all, except for the two stumps still protruding from the ground…
Now you see it, now you don’t!
For the next three days until Friday, we said a permanent farewell to the two “octopuses”. Did we miss them? Nah!
We saw the transformation of the patch from the once-upon-a-time flowerbed to just…. earth and mess!
From these –
To these –
The levelling of the ground made it easier for the installation of the underground water pipe. In Part One, I mentioned that my husband singlehandedly cleared the entire flowerbed. I received a few comments, “Didn’t your boys lend a hand?” Good question, but as I recalled, the week we had to remove the two stumps plus roots was the week the boys had their BIG exams before the Easter break. I concede that being parents, we have to draw the line somewhere, hence, their exams took precedence.
By the way, the first thing my older son did after his last exam paper was to shovel the dug earth back to level the ground and cover the exposed water pipe. I thought he did a great job! Well done, son!
The completion of the groundwork took four days. Then there’s the construction of the veranda which took another three days, including half a day’s work of the installation of the electrical wirings and lightings.
Not quite there yet
The veranda is not 100% completed, so I will not be posting the finished product on this post yet. The floor tiles are still missing and the contractors are taking days off work due to the Easter break. It has been 5 days since their last assignment….
If you’re wondering which veranda we had chosen, you have to wait for my next post 😉
To be continued…